Tuesday 16 April 2013

Robert Downey Jr. Confirms ‘Avengers’ Payday, Predicts Oscar


Robert Downey Jr. (GQ)
When Marvel's superhero flick "The Avengers" conquered the box office last summer, Robert Downey Jr. reportedly saw a supersized check -- $50 million by some estimates -- for services rendered.
You can stop guessing. The man who plays Tony "Iron Man" Stark is confirming the amount he made in backend profit from Joss Whedon's epic film, thanks to his overall deal with Marvel Studios.
In a new issue of GQ, which features Downey on the cover, the interviewer comes right out and asks the actor if the astronomical number is accurate.

"Yeah ... isn’t that crazy?” he says. “They’re so p***ed. I can’t believe it. I’m what’s known as ‘a strategic cost.’"
It's a pricey strategy, but a solid one. Downey's "Iron Man" films have been hits at home and internationally, not to mention they single-handedly revived his nearly disintegrated personal brand.
While Downey already has a platinum bank account, he's looking for Oscar gold. He's twice been nominated for the Academy Award, but counts no wins.
"I, personally, would be shocked if we went to the end of the tape now and I didn’t have at least one ... because I’m young enough, and I’m running down being occupied with these kind of genre movies, close enough," he says in the May issue.
"Look, even if I don’t get one directly, eventually they’re just going to have to give me one when I get old. So no matter how you slice it, I’m getting one," he concludes.
We'd call him cocky, but Downey Jr. is a safe bet these days. Congrats in advance?

No comments:

Post a Comment